Currently, only City residential solid waste customers (those that receive garbage services provided by the City) are eligible to receive curbside recycling services.
Your recycling is collected on the same day as your garbage and should be placed out the night before collection or no later than 6 a.m. on your scheduled collection day. See http://webgis.auburnalabama.org/PublicService/ to view the City's Public Service Map or contact our office at 501-3080 to ascertain your scheduled collection day.
- Aluminum cans only
- Cardboard (no larger than 4 ft. x 2 ft. - flattened)
- Glass-ONLY brown and clear (frosted beverage bottles, but not Pyrex, Corning Ware, etc.) glass accepted.
- Plastic bearing recycling codes #1 &s; #2 are accepted (no plastic bags please).
- Steel and tin cans
Recyclables should be placed a few feet away from the trash and garbage and at least three (3) feet from the roadway. The City utilizes a source-separated program, meaning recycling materials should be separated by type and placed in containers (e.g., recycling bins, milk crates, boxes) prior to collection as follows:
- Aluminum cans - crushing helps, but is not necessary
- Cardboard - should be flattened/broken down
- Glass - containers should be separated by color
- Newspaper - should be bundled and neatly stacked
- Plastic - when possible, rinse clean
- Steel cans - should be separated from aluminum cans
Yes. The RecycleAuburn drop-off center is located at 365-A North Donahue Drive (Environmental Services facility) and is open 24 hours a day year round. All recyclables collected as a part of the curbside program may be recycled at the drop-off center, in addition to the following items:
- Batteries (transistor only (up to size D) - no automobile, marine batteries, etc.)
- Cellular phones
- Cooking grease/oil (pick up an empty container at the center and return it when full)
- Green glass
- Magazines/telephone books
- Mixed office paper
Yes. Computer equipment generated by the City’s residential customers is also recycled, but an appointment must be made as these items require special handling. Please contact Environmental Services at 501-3080 for an appointment to drop off your computer equipment.
General recycling materials are transported to Waste Recycling, Inc. which is located in Opelika, AL. Waste Recycling packages the materials and typically ships them to various locations around the southeastern United States for final processing. Electronics are submitted to CompuPoint, USA, LLC located in Norcross, GA for processing. CompuPoint is R2 certified as recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and has indicated it processes all electronic material it receives through companies located within the United States.