Traffic Calming

The City of Auburn strives to provide its residents with safe, comfortable, and livable residential streets by utilizing smart and efficient design standards. However even with all the best intentions, sometimes motorists find ways to drive too fast along those residential streets. Sometimes streets become cut-through streets used by more vehicles than was originally intended. To help alleviate those problems the City of Auburn created a Traffic Calming Policy. The policy was originally adopted by City Council in 2002 and revised in 2011 with the adoption of the Public Works Design and Construction Manual.

What is Traffic Calming?

Traffic Calming is a means in which to reduce speeds and minimize vehicular traffic on local neighborhood streets. Traffic Calming often utilizes physical devices, such as speed humps and traffic circles, installed in a roadway to reduce both traffic speeds and volumes. In some instances, devices such as a radar speed trailer or additional signage are recommended in lieu of physical devices. Citizen involvement in neighborhood traffic management activities is strongly encouraged.

How do I get Traffic Calming on my street?

To request traffic calming for your street simply fill out the Traffic Calming Form and a Traffic Engineer will contact you in regards to your request.

What is the process?

Once your request form is received, staff will acknowledge your request and place your street on the schedule for data acquisition. Staff will collect speed data and traffic volumes. The data will be evaluated against expectations for your street. You will be notified regarding the findings of the analysis. If physical devices are warranted, the applicant is provided a petition for circulation to the affected area. Once the petition is returned to the City with 66% approval on the petition it will be placed on the agenda for City Council approval.

How long does the process take?

It typically takes about 2 to 4 weeks for staff to collect and analyze the data.

If my neighbors sign a petition, will it help?

A petition is not necessary when you return your Traffic Calming Request Form. If physical devices are recommended for your street, you will then be provided with a petition for circulation in the affected area.