Utility Billing

The Water Works Board provides water service to a number of customers within the city limits of Auburn. Included in the billing are charges for garbage and sanitary sewer services, which are provided by the City of Auburn.

Deposit Requirements

The Water Works Board requires that all customers pay a deposit on each account that they establish. This deposit is held until the account is closed. The deposit amount is based on the meter size plus a service charge to establish service.

If an applicant can provide a letter documenting good payment history (no late payments, no late fees and no service disconnections for a period of 24 consecutive months) from  one of the applicant’s former utilities (electricity, natural gas, water or sewer), the Board will not require the applicant to pay initial deposits. However, deposits cannot be billed for applicants who have a balance remaining on a previous account with the Board and/or when water has been used at an address without an active utilities account. Please be advised that past payment history with the Water Works Board Utility Billing Office will supersede a "Letter of Credit" from any other utility.  Reference letter can be faxed to us at (334) 501-7292.


Payment is due on the payment due date.  Payment due dates are based on the billing cycle of the services address. If the payment due date falls on a holiday or weekend, you have until the next business day to pay your bill without late fees. A minimum late fee of $5 ($1.50 for water, $1.50 for sewer, $2 for garbage) or 5% of each service will be added to accounts that have not been paid by the close of business on the due date.

An account not paid and posted by 4:30 p.m. on the payment due date is assessed a late fee. Any payment dropped in the night deposit boxes after 4:30 p.m. on any day is not posted until the following business day. Payment of your bill and or late fees will not be waived due to failure to receive or the late receipt of a bill.

To avoid interruption of service, prompt payment of utility bills is required on or before the payment due date. If payment is not received within 10 days from that date, water service will be subject to interruption.

You have several options of how you may pay your bill.

  • In person at our office located at 1501 West Samford Avenue. Payment may be made by cash, check, money order, Visa, MasterCard or Discover.
  • On line at our website at https://ubservices.auburnalabama.org/ using a Visa, MasterCard or Discover.
  • By phone by calling (334) 501-3050 to pay by Visa, MasterCard or Discover.
  • Mail check or money order to 1501 West Samford Avenue, Auburn, AL 36830.
  • The drive-up window is for bill payments only. You must have the bill in order to pay at the window.
  • You may wish to pay your bill by Automatic Bank Draft. Call our office at (334) 501-3050 and we will send you a form to complete and return to our office.  You may also access this form through our website at http://www.auburnalabama.org/ubo/forms.
  • You may also pay your bill by dropping it into the night deposit box located next to the drive-thru window. The Water Works Board cannot be responsible for cash dropped into the night deposit box; so please do not place cash payments in the night drop box.

Terminating Service

A written disconnect request must be provided to the Utility Billing Office to close an account. It is the customer's responsibility to notify the Utility Billing Office in writing in advance of his plans to terminate service, providing the last date on which he will need utility services and his forwarding address. Customers should send the necessary information via the Board’s Account Deactivation form which can be obtained from the Utility Billing Office or may be downloaded from the City’s web site (http://www.auburnalabama.org/ubo/forms). Notifications can be sent to the Utility Billing Office, or sent to the UBO by fax, email or U.S. Postal Service mail; the mailing address and fax number for the UBO are shown on the  form. Disconnection requests are not accepted over the phone.


An irrigation meter is used for any or all outside watering. Irrigation meters are subject to a monthly minimum water service fee (for zero usage during the billing period) based on the meter size and calculated as 1,000 gallons of usage.  The irrigation meter is furnished by the Water Works Board, and will be accessible to and subject to its control at all times. These meters will be installed on the public right of way, dedicated easement or other grassed area that is free from vehicular or pedestrian traffic.

A customer may request a second meter for irrigation purposes. This service requires a water deposit based on the meter size, payable at the time of the request and may require a tap fee based on the size of the meter.

High Bills

Water meters are read each and every month. This is how your consumption is calculated. If the usage is unusually high, it will appear on the high usage report. The readings will be checked once again for accuracy, then the office will try to notify the customer of high usage. If you receive a courtesy notice from the Water Works Board, you should investigate to find the possible cause for the excess water usage. Check for dripping faucets, running toilets, or possible breaks in the water line. If a problem is detected, a plumber should be notified to perform the repairs. If you are renting, call your landlord. The Water Works Board is not responsible for any repairs beyond the maintenance of your meter, but we will assist you in any way that we can to determine the problem prior to you calling a plumber.

Garbage and Sewer Billing

When your account was first established, the deposit included water and sewer. Sewer is defined as water that goes down your drains. Since there is no way to meter this, your sewer charge is based on your water usage. We caution you to be careful about leaks and report any plumbing problems to your landlord or project manager. Remember, water consumption dictates your sewer charge; so a leak can be very costly.

Many residents of multi-family complexes have garbage fees paid for by the landlord or property manager. Others residing in single-family homes or duplexes will be paying for water, sewer, and garbage.

If you have questions about your garbage service or recycling, you may call (334) 501-3080 or go by the Solid Waste office located at 356 North Donahue Drive between the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

For more information, please contact us at [email protected]